Araminta Howard 1855 - 1931
|Araminta Howard 1855 - 1931|
|Born||April 18, 1855|
Harlan County, KY
|Died||December 30, 1931 (aged 76)|
Harlan County, KY
|Parent(s)||Samuel Howard & Sarah Pace|
Araminta is also known as "Minty". In research, her name has also been found as Misty and Minty Nolan.
A marriage bond was issued for Thomas Potter Jones 1850 - 1931 to wed Araminta "Minty" Howard. The bond is dated Sunday January 22, 1871. Thomas' mother, Mary Magdalene Eager, and Araminta's father, Samuel Howard, gave written permission for this marriage.
Araminta is enumerated as being a house worker.
Araminta Howard Jones died December 30, 1931 in Gatun, Kentucky. Araminta apparently threw herself into the Poor Fork Branch of the Cumberland River and drowned. Mrs. W. G. Hensley, which is Araminta's oldest daughter Latisha Sarah Jones, is the informant on the death certificate. It's possible Latisha may have been the one who found her mother on December 31st. The possibility exists thst Araminta was despondent over the death of her husband Thomas Potter Jones 1850 - 1931, who was murdered on June 1, 1931.
W.P. Cawood, the officiating MD, indicated Araminta had a history of possible suicidal events. However, he did not explain his statement nor put his comment into context.
Gatun is a small neighborhood about a mile east of Baxter, Kentucky and situated at the mouth of the Tom Jones Branch that flows into the Poor Fork of the Cumberland River. According to Araminta's death certificate, she was found in the river at Gatun. The 1919 USGS Map show markings for six structures at the mouth of the Tom Jones Branch. As a note of interest, the 1887 and 1891 USGS maps which include the Gatun area of Harlan County are named the Jonesville maps because the town of Jonesville, Virginia in Lee County, Virginia is included on the map.
- Jones Araminta Howard-KY-DeathCert.jpg
Araminta Howard Jones death certificate December 31, 1931
- Gatun Kentucky-USGSMap-1919.jpg
Gatun, Kentucky - USGS Harlan Map - 1919
- Source Information:Ancestry.com. Kentucky, Birth Records, 1847-1911 [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations Inc, 2007. Original data: Kentucky. Kentucky Birth, Marriage and Death Records – Microfilm (1852-1910). Microfilm rolls #994027-994058. Kentucky Department for Libraries and Archives, Frankfort, Kentucky.(Accessed 01/04/2019 - LCJones)
- "Kentucky Marriages, 1785-1979," index, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/F4S3-ZXV : accessed 23 Nov 2013)
- "Kentucky Death Records, 1911-1965," database, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:NSPS-3VT : 2 January 2019), Mrs. Minta Jones, 1931; citing Death, Gatun, Harlan, Kentucky, United States, certificate , Office of Vital Statistics, Frankfort; FHL microfilm 1,913,103.
- "United States Census, 1860", database with images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:MZBW-MYG : 14 December 2017), Araminta Howard in entry for Samuel Howard, 1860.